Product of the Year is the largest consumer voted award for product innovation. Product of the Year was created to champion new product innovation and give shoppers a shortcut to the very best new products on the market. It’s not only an internationally recognized award, but a proven ROI tool.
TRUSTED: Over 30 years of operation working with leaders like Unilever, Johnson & Johnson, GSK, Kimberly Clark and many more
GLOBAL: 42 countries operating under the same goal: guide consumers to the most innovative products on the market. The seal is used by winners around the globe. This means that it is recognizable to the newest Canadians.
FOCUS ON INNOVATION: Product of the Year exists to help guide shoppers to new innovative products, as determined by consumers just like them. For winning products, this is not only an acknowledgement for innovation in the eyes of the industry, but a powerful sales tool proven to increase product trial, awareness and quality.
100% CONSUMER VOTED: Products are voted on entirely by a nationally representative sample of Canadian consumers. With thousands of Canadians voting on products, Product of the Year Canada conducts a category-specific consumer product survey on innovation.
PARTNERSHIP WITH CHATELAINE: Product of the Year has partnered with Chatelaine, the #1 woman’s media brand that resonates with 5+ million engaged consumers across multiple channels including print, digital, tablet, TV, radio, social.
BACKED BY ROGERS: Rogers Media is the premier media company in Canada offering print, digital and television promotional support to raise awareness for Product of the Year Canada.
For the 2019 awards, we accept entries fro products launched since January 2017. Products must have national distribution and demonstrate meaningful consumer innovation in one of the following areas: function, design, packaging, ingredients. If you’re not sure if you product qualifies, please reach out to us, and we can help figure out if your product should be entering.
We accept entries from products that demonstrate innovation in their function, design, packaging, or ingredients. This could be a completely new type of product or a useful innovation to an older product or brand, such a new ingredient, redesigned shape or size, new formula (eg. less sugar) or new packaging (eg., user-friendly or “green”). Remember, it does not have to be revolutionary as long as it makes consumers’ lives better/easier. Please contact us directly if you have questions about your product.
A jury comprised of industry experts selects the finalists that meet the Product of the Year standards of value and innovation. Those selected finalists are then categorized and judged through an online survey of Canadian consumers, conducted by TNS Canada on behalf of Rogers Insights. Thousands of consumers vote and select the winning products they feel are most worthy of both the Product of the Year Canada title and the distinct internationally renowned red seal. The survey is designed to evaluate product innovation on several criteria, including product appeal, innovation, satisfaction and purchase interest.
We partner with TNS Canada on behalf of Rogers Insights to survey a nationally representative sample of thousands of Canadian shoppers. The survey is designed to evaluate product innovation on several criteria. The Innovation Index Score (IIS) was determined by incorporating four distinct variables.
- Product Satisfaction
- Product Innovation
- Product Appeal
- Intent to Purchase
Products are reviewed based on product descriptions and images; Canadian consumers evaluate each based on their knowledge of, expectations for, and past experiences with the product.
Yes, there is no limit on how many products from one brand can be entered, as long as they meet the criteria above.
Product of the Year Canada opens for opens for entries March 2018.
The general broad categories of product entries we accept include Food and Beverage, Health and Beauty, Personal Care, Household Products, Pet Supplies, Pharmaceuticals, Small Appliances and Electronics, etc. The exact category names are determined by TNS after all entries are received. Because this is an award for innovation, the categories are often driven by innovation trends of the preceding year.
We work with the TNS Canada on behalf of Rogers Insights to make sure only comparable products compete with each other and there are never less than 2 or more than 6 products in a category.
- Entry to Product of the Year Canada is free.
- If your product is selected to be a part of the consumer survey, there is a finalist fee of $3,000
- If consumers vote your product “Product of the Year Canada,” there is a one-time winner fee of $10,000 that allows promoting the win and using our logo in any type of media for two full years. All winners are part of Product of the Year Canada media and PR campaign across Rogers Media properties (approximate value of over $300,000) to raise program awareness and drive consumers to the Product of the Year Canada website. Campaign may include print, television, digital, editorial, broadcast, and PR exposure across some of Canada’s favorite brands.
Products cannot opt out once submitted. By submitting your product, you are providing full commitment to the program and any fees that may apply if your product is voted a finalist or winner of Product of the Year Canada
Winners have found numerous ways to benefit from POY over the past 31 years, but here are a few of the key benefits we’ve observed:
- All winners are guaranteed the following:
- Inclusion in the Product of the Year Canada media and PR campaign across Rogers Media properties (approximate value of over $300,000 to raise program awareness and drive consumers to the Product of the Year Canada website.
- An editorial spread will run within a Spring issue of Chatelaine promoting the overall Product of the Year Canada program and highlighting selected winners (selections to be made at the discretion of the Chatelaine editorial team).
- ALL winners will receive a product mention within a subsequent print issue in the new Chatelaine presents Product of the Year Canada promotional 1/3 page advertisement. Timing of issues at the discretion of the Chatelaine editorial team.
- Chatelaine also hosts a contest, profiling the Product of the Year Canada winners and giving one lucky entrant the chance to win a Product of the Year prize pack.
- Winners also receive access to incentive-priced media opportunities to promote your Product of the Year Canada win across Rogers Media brands, including print and digital properties.
- A detailed consumer research report with category-specific results and shopper insights conducted by TNS Canada on behalf of Rogers Insights.
- Most importantly, winners receive a two-year licensing term on unlimited usage of the Product of the Year Canada seal on all marketing material.
All products entered go in front of the Product of the Year Canada jury made up of industry experts. The jury acts as a filter to ensure only the most exciting and innovative new products advance to the next stage, the consumer voting. Once a product is selected for the national survey, there is a fee of $3,000. Win or lose, every finalist receives a copy of the research, independently carried out by TNS Canada on behalf of Rogers Insights.
Product of the Year was founded in 1987 in France by former L’OREAL executive, Christian LeBret.
Product of the Year currently exists in 42 countries, making its most recent debut in Turkey, Luxembourg, Kuwait, and Lebanon.
You may contact us with any questions at 416-400-8683 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org